A random assortment of my daily activities and ponderings. Maybe it will be boring, maybe it will be mind-blowingly exhiliarting. It is a grand experiment in exploring the brilliance of this thing those crazy kids are calling the "World Wide Web".

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Finals Week Makes Me Sad

2 things about finals week really made me sad this year (well, outside the tests...):

1. I realized that if someone sneezes, while taking a major exam, they are probably going to Hell. Okay, maybe not that extreme...but they're definitely not blessed! During all of my tests I would hear people sneeze and, unlike your ordinary cordial day at this prestigious southern university, absolutely NO one would say "bless you". I figure it's because people don't want the teachers to think they're cheating? Or maybe the phenomenon is just isolated in huge science classes (which were my observation pools), so maybe I'm just crazy. But I'm still sad.

2. I told this next one to some people and their sad reactions made me even sadder. Walking to my 8 am Italian 3 final in Hanes Art Center, I had to walk up the more than slightly inclined path between Phillips and Memorial Hall. It was a super cruddy day outside- cold, raining, foggy, and dark with a sense of lingering despair hanging over all of our exams. (okay, so I'm a dramatist.) The path was iced over which, though I was struggling up it, put me in a rather jovial mood as I got to watch many of my coffee-clutching colleagues sliding down it. I know, I'm horrible. (But I knew I'd get mine as soon as I saw that Italian exam). THEN, my mood was drastically changed. For there, in the middle of the icy path, was a large puddle. And, soaking in the large puddle, was scattered the remnants of someone's neatly-made notecards. Obviously someone had been frantically trying to stuff yet some more frivolous knowledge into his or her head on the way to a monstrous exam (weren't we all?) and fell on the ice, scattering the flashcards. And here the cards were, soaking in cold brick-y water, their colored words draining from the paper. I got really sad. And then moved on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home