A random assortment of my daily activities and ponderings. Maybe it will be boring, maybe it will be mind-blowingly exhiliarting. It is a grand experiment in exploring the brilliance of this thing those crazy kids are calling the "World Wide Web".

Friday, January 20, 2006

Yikes, Sorry!

Well, it's been a long while, which probably means that no one is reading this anymore. Haha, sorry guys.... I had all of these brilliant excuses flashing through my mind just now, but I'll spare you the graphic tales of giant diamonds and exploding Ford F-250's. But anyway, life is good!

Here's the breakdown on my new classes, in the order in which they appear each and every awesome, lovely week (in case you care, if not: you might want to switch to facebook)

1. Organic Chemistry II - my love/hate relationship with this class continues. Oh how I missed Crimmins and his precious green laser pointer. Proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off, proton goes on, proton goes off... if you're not in the class that is probably annoying. If you're IN the class though....yep still annoying, just making sure you were paying attention!

2. Biology 52 - yet another biology class to remind me that yes, indeed I DID take AP Bio in high school, hence why every single tidbit of info we learn sounds not only familiar from THAT class, but also from Biol 50 and Biol 54. Chalk one up for academic inefficiency. Teacher = good though, I'm trying to be less cynical. (Is it working?)

3. Italian 4 - If I am not bottom of the barrel in this class, then there must be some deaf mute with both hands chopped off (and thus negating the need for Braille) sitting somewhere in the back that I haven't seen yet. Yes, it's that bad. It takes me 45 minutes to translate a page of 14-pt font "Easy Reader" text. Easy Reader my arm, that stuff is hard. It's good to know I'm consistent though, seeing as my favorite Italian phrase hasn't changed since Italian 1: "Non lo so". Yeah you guessed it, "I don't know (so stop bugging me and let me continue my comfortable classroom role of slouching, looking busy, flashing frantic glances of confusion at everyone else in the class, and mumbling "mamma mia" under my breath.)"

4. Policy 161. My first policy class. Over 100. Do I need to continue? Just kidding, I'm a budding dramatist. Budding haha, so many biology jokes there. (Jaime, I'm totally relying on you here, pity laughs appreciated from the rest of you). It's about health care and politics and is taught by the most awesome, and awesomely brilliant professor. He's a goof and completely obsessed with 24 and Carrburritos. This, coupled with the fact that he just totally told off 2 drug company reps and an insurance company guru make him an idol of mine. And we get to read "Mama Might Be Better Off Dead", which is a real uplifting point in my day.

5. Chem 41 lab (analytical). Yet to be determined, though I'm sure there will be many stories.... this includes one of those times (last semester) when I just thought it would be a great idea to drop the analytical lab. Now I must pay.

6. Biology 52 recitation. My TA comes in (5 minutes late and about 2 minutes after I started pondering whether to start up a game of biology hangman...no for reals, my first one was going to be "alpha helix") and the first thing he does is to announce himself as a grad student and say, "the only thing that separates me and you is a few years of classes, so if you pay attention in lecture and I don't, you'll be able to explain it to me better than vice versa." He then proceeded to tell us that he would, in fact, answer his cell phone in class if it rang, made up some stuff about biology, and let us out early. I checked out about 10 minutes in and dwelled on how awesome biology hangman would have been. Why don't I seize these opportunities?

7. Chem 62 lab (organic). Also yet to be determined. I spent in inordinate amount of money on this class. I'll be so mad if I break my lab goggles before the semester's up. I'll try to give you guys a heads up if that happens...wouldn't want you to have to experience that ugly, ugly side of me. Those things are like 7 bucks. And there's no use in trying to save my eyelashes now.

8. Oral Communications 9. I think that I really dislike this class. I forgot to go the first week, whoops. The teacher is really cool and Turkish, but I repeat myself. We read a stupid article that was on the silliest thing, I would get into it but that would exacerbate the silliness. That's NOT how I roll. We proceeded to talk about the article for 5 minutes and spend the rest of the hour and 15 minutes discussing the importance of national identity or lack thereof. If I said people repeated themselves it would be a gross understatement of the truth and if I said that the room was full of ignorant, spoiled, self-important pricks it would be...... too true. Sad. But some good points. And some better facial expressions from my good pal JP from across the room. One kind of said, "huh?" and another, "are you stupid?" and another, "wow this class sucks" and yet another, "why are McDonald's and Britney Spears the only intelligent symbols that we can come up with to discuss American identity?!?"


Alas, it's a good solid 15/16 credit week. If someone actually wants to total that up for me, that'd be great. But it's working out for now! Though the story may change once labs start :) Thanks for reading guys, as usual-- peace and Bojangles (sans coupons..)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

is "hence why" really a gramatically correct phrase. i contend that it is not. did you write it as a joke? it's something that peeps say, i'll give you that.

2:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quote from you -- " the first thing he does is to announce himself as a grad student and say, "the only thing that separates me and you is a few years of classes, so if you pay attention in lecture and I don't, you'll be able to explain it to me better than vice versa." He then proceeded to tell us that he would, in fact, answer his cell phone in class if it rang, made up some stuff about biology, and let us out early. I checked out about 10 minutes in and dwelled on how awesome biology hangman would have been. "

ok, that's something i would definately quote, but i would be really bitter about it.

-sj

2:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home