A random assortment of my daily activities and ponderings. Maybe it will be boring, maybe it will be mind-blowingly exhiliarting. It is a grand experiment in exploring the brilliance of this thing those crazy kids are calling the "World Wide Web".

Monday, January 31, 2005

Dead LAST

If any of you have ever been last out of chem lab, then you know where I'm coming from. Not just staying late, not just second-to-last- but LAST. Dead LAST. The TA is in the corner making up busy work for himself to do while "we're" (talk to me for further explanation) frantically graphing things, calculating things, scribbling things, solving things. Meanwhile my ex-TA, now my head-TA has nothing better to do but taunt me as I try to figure out why "we" found a 603% error in the experiment that was painstakingly carried out during the first 4 hours of the lab. Hmmmmm. (Gordon --> think a baby lamb with the head of an 80-year-old man getting its guts eaten alive by bloody earthworms and maggots). Sorry for those of you to whom that grotesque statement does not apply. Please erase it from your memory, if you can... ANYway, the lab is done. I missed my biology review session, I skipped dinner, I am trying to move on to other homework and yet that horrid 603% just looms in the back of my mind!! And for those of you who may happen to be completing this lab in the very near future (this week) remember these simple words- "Do not, do NOT, DO NOT get vacuum grease on the flask stopper!" Also, a word of kind advice to anyone, chem-labbers and others a like... If you have been heating water in a beaker for 2-3 hours and, let's say, it has been boiling for quite some time, it's generally not a good idea to touch that water as you pour it out into the sink. Even if it has been cooling for, say, 2-3 minutes. And this one's for Hayden-- as you watch yourself pour that water down the drain (no touching!), please oh please don't watch the stir bar go down with it! Alright, I hope science treats you all much better than it treated me today. And Mike Tarselli...watch out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for the advice on not touching boiling water. i was just about to touch boiling water, but read your blog JUST IN TIME!

1:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home